Thursday 27 May 2021

What I'm watching - Pie In The Sky

 I've recently come to a realisation that TV is becoming more bleak and dark.

The lockdowns of the last year have led to me spending more time in front of the telly purely to fill some of the hours, and although I've mostly watched box sets of old shows, so much of the programming seems to be either following varying political and race agendas, and much of the scheduled drama series are very dark. And to be honest, it's put me off watching many of them.

As I've got older, I've taken to watching more factual programmes than anything else. I've taken to travel and food programmes in particular.

Much of the drama seems too depressing to me and so I go back to those old shows of bygone times.

'Pie In The Sky' is what I think of as 'Sunday Night Telly,' light-hearted drama that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Richard Griffiths is great as the police detective  (Henry Crabbe) who'd rather be in the kitchen of his restaurant whilst solving various crimes. Ably assisted in the restaurant by his wife Margaret, played by Maggie Steed, it's a programme that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Luckily, the complete series is available on UKTV and it's an hour of enjoyable fluff that doesn't tax me and make me miserable.

This last year has been hard enough without watching TV that's going to drag you down and leave you feeling depressed.

Long ago, I decided that if I was going to watch television it was going to be on my terms. If I'm not watching something that entertains me, then I'm not going to watch it.

I can't think of anything I'd rather do than spend an evening watching programmes that made me feel worse than when I started.

'Pie In The Sky' cheers me up. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I'm enjoying every minute of watching it.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment