Thursday 3 June 2021

Missed opportunities...

When I first got married back in 1982, videos were just coming into fashion.

I fancied getting a video shop - I found a suitable shop just outside the showman's yard where we used to stop in the winter.
I found that you couldn't buy videos at the time, you would have to rent them from the companies on a weekly basis it was a minimal amount.
I worked out how much it would cost to kit the shop out with racking and get it ready to open.
When I did the sums, it was going to come to £3500 which we didn't have at the time.
I wanted to get a loan, but my wife didn't as we'd only just got married and was worried in case we come unstuck.
So we didn't take it any further.
A couple of months later, a video shop opened in exactly the shop I had targeted.
I went in and became a member on the 1st day. The one-off membership fee was £10 + the price of the films you were going to hire.
I signed up and got my card. I was member number 376, This meant that on their first day of business, they'd taken in at least £3760, without a film going out of the door.
Not doing it was a BIG mistake - within 6 months the owner opened another shop in Camberley and did the same thing.
Over a short period, he built a profitable business.
He also managed to sell the shops when the towns were starting to get flooded with Video shops.
Within a couple of years, he was in and out of the business and diversified into other things and ended up quite wealthy.
I've often looked back and wondered "what if?"

And it's why I believe that it's better to take a risk and go for it than not. From experience I've learned that I'd rather fail than look back 40 years and wonder "what if?" Regretting not taking a chance ate away at me for years.

My advice...if you have a gut feeling, follow it. It's usually correct.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!


No comments:

Post a Comment