Wednesday 7 April 2021

My Top 10s - Cover Versions


I thought I’d just give you a rundown of 10 of my favourite cover versions. This isn’t a definitive compilation, just some of my favourites.

There are far too many that I could have added to this list,




10 Wonderwall by Mike Flowers Pops (1995) – original by Oasis (1995)

I can’t stand Oasis but I love this quirky version of their massive hit.


if you can't see the video, click here

9 How Sweet It Is by James Taylor (1975) – original by Marvin Gaye (1964)
I love that James totally changed the song and did it his own way.

If you can't see the video, click here

8 The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley (1970) – original by Ray Petersen (1959)

Elvis turned a very bland song into an epic and it’s all the better for it.

If you can't see the video, click here

7 Can’t Get Used To Losing You by The Beat (1983) – original by Andy Williams (1963)
I love the way The Beat turned an already great song into a more modern ska-infused version

If you can't see the video, click here

6 The Day Before You Came by Blancmange (1984) – original by Abba (1982)
I absolutely hate Abba. However there are a couple of songs of theirs that I don’t mind. This is one, but I love Blancmange’s version. And the vocal!


If you can't see the video, click here

5 I Hear You Knocking by Dave Edmunds (1970) – original by Smiley Lewis (1955)
From 50s R&B to 70’s pop – just brilliant.

If you can't see the video, click here

4 Midnight Rider by Paul Davison (1975) – original by Allman Brothers Band (1971) I love Paul’s reggae version of a Southern Rock classic

If you can't see the video, click here

3 Tainted Love by Soft Cell (1981) – original by Gloria Jones (1965)
I’m not a Northern Soul lover and Tainted Love is a good example of why. Soft Cell’s 80s take on it improved it no end.


If you can't see the video, click here

2 Misty by Ray Stevens (1975) – original by Errol Garner (1950)
From Jazz to Country! And Ray Stevens’ upbeat version always brings a smile to my face.

If you can't see the video, click here


1 Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Diana Ross (1970)  – original by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (1967)
A perfect example of how you can change an already great song into something of epic proportions.
Diana Ross’ version is a masterpiece!

If you can't see the video, click here

I'd love to know what you're favourite cover versions are - why not let me know?

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment