Tuesday 23 February 2021

Continuing education works for me.

 I can’t say that I liked school much. There were so many other things I’d rather be doing. I didn’t like the teachers much. All they did was tell me to do stuff I didn’t really want to do, and the stuff I wanted to do, like talking to my friends, they wouldn’t let me do.

I didn't like the majority of the lessons. I hated maths – all I felt I needed to do was learn to count. For the life of me, I never thought I’d ever need algebra in my life, and to this day, I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use it.

The sciences did nothing for me – cutting up frogs wasn’t something I planned doing in later life. In fact, I didn’t want to cut up anyone! If I had plans on being a doctor, then yes it may have been of interest.  Blowing up the lab seemed like it could be fun – after all if we could do that, I wouldn’t have to do that again! The only thing I’ve ever been good at concocting is a decent cup of tea!

And as for physics! Too much like maths for me, although years later when I had a little set of chairs that went round too fast, I wished I’d understood about ratios in order to get the right sized flywheel to slow it down.

History was OK if the teacher wasn’t as bored as I was. I’d have loved Geography had it been all about places and not cumulous clouds and rock strata as well.

Sport was good though. As was Madamoiselle Rieg, our french teacher who was pretty good looking and sounded as sexy as hell when she spoke (at least to my 14 year old self she did).

And as for exams, I could never see the point – and still don’t.

It’s easy for someone to freeze up on the day, and it’s not so easy to cram for the tests. The purpose of exams to me, is to show that the student has a decent memory for data and that they can put it down on paper succinctly.

I still feel that people’s results should be down to the coursework completed during the course of the year. The teacher should be able to tell whether the student has pulled their weight in class over the year, should have a good idea of whether the student has understood and learnt the material covered. And if they aren’t able to recognize that, then perhaps they should be in another career.

I ended up leaving public school without any qualifications – I didn’t end up doing my ‘O’ levels because my Dad was ill at the time and instead of going to school to do the exams, at 16, I stayed at home and run the family business.

Therefore going by my official exam status, I’m bottom of the barrel and would struggle to get a job anywhere these days. That’s OK though, I don’t want one anyway. I’m happier working at my own things.

But here’s the funny thing.

I’m all for education. I’ve continued learning all my life. In fact this morning, I’ve signed up for a course to learn how the fundamentals of some software I recently bought and have been trying to teach myself how to use properly.

Given time, I think I could master it on my own, but I feel I can speed up the process by enrolling on a course that will show me many tips and techniques that I would take ages to find, and some that I never would.

Over the years, I’ve signed up to many courses. I did a website building course, I’ve gained an NVQ level 2 in I.T. and I’ve been learning Spanish online as well.

I read plenty of self improvement books, on all kinds of subjects. I read autobiographies and biographies. Whenever I get involved in anything, I buy books that will help me in that area.

As examples: When I was doing discos, I hunted down business books and books on promotion to help me put it on a firm footing. When I started doing radio, I bought books on technique, on how to use various pieces of equipment. I learned what it would take to run a station, how to set up playlists, how to format a show. I asked questions to well established presenters. I was open and willing to accept advice and critique.

I am constantly looking at ways to make me a better me. I’m always open to finding new ways of doing things.

I even signed up to an online course to learn to play a piano on a whim once. I’ve always liked the idea of playing piano like Fats Domino or even Russ Conway. I do love a bit of plinky-plonk. One day I’ll get around to it. I just need a piano!

So yes, I’m a great believer in education. But personally, I like to learn what I like to learn.

I was not a success, certificate-wise at school. The things I’ve learned in life that have been useful to me are pretty much things that weren’t available to me at the time.

I think it’s important that we all continue to educate ourselves. Life is an ongoing education in itself.

I found the most important part of schooling, preparing for those final exams, tedious. I was more interested in developing business skills, which I did at home, in our arcade. School didn’t set me up to develop the kind of business I was going into.

And because of that, I didn’t think it was right for me at the time. For me personally, I’ve found education better when it’s been about the things I had an interest in. Sadly, most of what I learned in school hasn’t been of much use to me as an adult.

The majority of things that have been important in my life were taught by my family and associates I’ve made along the way.

I can’t say having no qualifications has made my life more difficult. It wasn’t as if I was going to be a scientist, and investment banker or a vet.

The thing I learnt most at school was when I was boarding at Prior Park, and that was sticking up for myself and being independent. Although painful at the time, it’s helped me stand my ground in this world.

I will say though, that I wish I’d have paid more attention in English classes. It would make my writing more coherent that it is now!

Surprisingly, I have to say, one of the joys of my life is learning. I love the sense of achievement when I master something new.

So I can see quite plainly, that me and education are going to be together for a while to come.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment