Monday 15 February 2021

James' top 10s - School puddings


This time around, I thought I'd take us back on a little trip to see the school dinner lady in the 1960s and have a little look at my favourite school puddings.

I know a lot of people didn't like school dinners, but I loved them and the highlight were these puddings.

Here are my top 10, with my absolute favourite at number one.


10 Fruit Salad
Who could resist this? With evaporated milk poured over the top, it was a total delight.

9 Semolina and Strawberry Jam.
When was the last time you had this? 


8 Sago Pudding
Did you call it 'Frog Spawn' as well? Loads of people hated this, but not me!


7 Swiss Roll and Custard
Always a little treat, even better when it was Chocolate swiss roll with chocolate custard.


6 Cornflake Tart & Custard
or the other little gem, the Rice Crispie cake!


5 Jam & Coconut sponge with strawberry custard
Let's face it, any kind of sponge with strawberry custard was a winner!


4 Chocolate sponge and Mint Custard
A total delight - I loved mint custard and this always went down well!


3 Apple Crumble and custard
A classic loved by all.


2 Vanilla Sponge with a Hundreds and Thousands topping and Custard
Let's face it, hundreds and thousands were a bit special!


1 Sticky Toffee Pudding with Custard
Pure decadence. Always at the top of my wants list at school dinners.
And Mrs Champion, my favourite dinner lady always gave me two pieces!


I don't know about you, but I could still sit down and eat all of these. What was your favourite? Is it even on this list? Which puddings did I miss? Let me know.


Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!




No comments:

Post a Comment