Sunday 15 November 2020

Me, Des O'Connor and a little bit of heckling!

 

Des O’Connor has died. He didn’t have a bad run at 88. And I have my own story where he plays a central part.

 When I was a little boy, at the end of the year after we’d closed the arcade for the year, Mum and Dad would take us to London for the week to visit family and have a few days playing holidaymakers in the West End.

 We’d have a trip to London Zoo, got to Hamleys, where they’d buy us some presents – to this day I remember the little spin art machine they bought me.

 You’d put a piece of card on it, turn the motor on, and pour paint onto it and it would make some great little patterns... but I digress.

 They’d also take us to the pictures and then to see a show. The show, however, was more for them than for us I think.

 One year, 1969 I think, they took us to the London Palladium to see a show. The star of that show was Des O’Connor.

 We were sat close to the front row, to the right of the stage but in a very good position.

 The acts came on and did their thing and then Des came on. And bored me to tears. So much so, that I stood up and shouted, “You’re rubbish!” at him.

 Mum and Dad’s faces were a picture! The audience burst out laughing and Des O’Connor looked at me, looked at the audience and shrugged his shoulders – which got an even bigger laugh.

 Just imagine being heckled by a nine-year-old!

 Suffice it to say, Mum and Dad were embarrassed and none too pleased with me.

 I just wish it had been filmed!

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment