Thursday 12 November 2020

Too much telly, but it's OK, it's box sets of things I liked!


This year I've watched more TV than I have in years due to the lockdowns.

And I've bought more DVD box sets of the shows I loved to watch in times gone by, Why?

Well, it's probably because I don't enjoy a lot of today's telly. It's either too dark (in mood), unfunny (I don't like political humour and there's too much of it these days for my liking), and there are too many game shows and reality shows for my liking.

Which leaves me watching a lot of documentaries or re-runs.

I was thinking about the box sets I've bought over the years and find myself re-watching. Shows like 'The West Wing,' Michael Palin's 'Around The World In Eighty Days,' and shows like, 'Ballykisangel.'

I have to say I like to buy DVD box sets, as most programmes I used to watch, I never saw all of them. I've not been good at being in front of the telly at the same time every week, so I like being able to watch when I like.

I suppose that's why Netflix and Prime are so popular - TV on demand.

But getting back to my DVD Boxsets, over this last year I've bought loads of them. shows that I loved over the years. Some have been as good to watch again now as they were the first time around, some not so.

Remember 'Howard's Way' from the 1980s? I only ever saw the first series, but for some reason, I loved it, even though it was a bit corny. So I bought the complete box set - £30. 13 episodes in each series and there were 6 series - hours of entertainment for the price of going out for something to eat!

Debz bought some box sets from work - shows like '24' and 'ER', as well as a few films.

I bought 'Lovejoy,' 'Sharpe,' 'Miami Vice,' 'Magnum PI,' 'Quantum Leap,' 'Born & Bred,' 'Monarch Of The Glen,' 'Land Of The Giants,' 'Sunday Night At The London Palladium,' 'Some Mothers Do Have 'em,' 'Frasier,' 'The Avengers (John Steed and Emma Peel years),' 'McCloud' and more.

We've topped them up by rewatching boxsets of shows like, 'Minder,' 'The Darling Buds of May,' 'Friday Night Lights,' 'Man In A Suitcase,' 'Inspector Morse,' 'Lewis,' 'Jeeves & Wooster' and more.

You may notice there's a lot of what I call 'Sunday Night Telly,' easy-going stuff that doesn't tax you too much. I think I inherited my likes from sitting in front of the telly with my Mum and Dad when I was at home.

Yes, I may have spent a few quid on box sets - most were second hand from Ebay or Facebook Marketplace which meant they weren't too expensive. I'll tell you this though, for us it's been really enjoyable watching programmes we knew we were going to like.

It means that although we've watched a lot of telly, we've sidestepped the soaps, not got involved in the talent shows and managed to avoid 'Naked Ambition,' Dinner Date,' 'Pointless' and programmes of that ilk - and we've avoided the news at all costs as well.

For the most part, it's kept us sane, and calmer than we otherwise might have been!

I'm not saying that the stuff we've avoided isn't worth watching - it's just not our taste. We'd rather watch the shows above and a few documentaries. What we've watched may have bored you to tears, but as I said we've enjoyed it.

That's what we've been watching - what's graced your screens? 

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment