Monday 16 November 2020

My favourite photo...what's yours?

 I have literally thousands of photographs. Even more, if you count the digital ones that have never been printed.

I've loved photos since I was a kid. My Mum and Dad had suitcases full of them. Mum had the nickname, 'Polaroid Pearl' because in the 60s she always had a polaroid camera in her hand.

When I was still at home, Mum would get the suitcases out and we'd sit and go through them and she'd tell me stories about the majority of them. She'd tell me who was in them. She'd tell me stories about the people.

This continued even after I'd got married. We'd go back to visit, and she'd get the cases out and look though them again. This was an ongoing event.

In 1993, I borrowed the suitcases of photos, took them home with me and spent almost a month videoing them to make a film of all the photos. When I'd done that, I created a soundtrack of songs from the 50s and 60s to go with the film and dubbed it onto it,

Early in the new year, I presented Mum and Dad with the video. They were over the moon and I'm so glad I did it because in May that year, my Dad died suddenly,

It was only after he'd died that I was told that whenever anyone came to see them, he'd put the video in and show the photos to whoever was there. I'm so pleased that I did it.

When my Mum died in 1997, the only thing I wanted of my Mum and Dad's were the suitcases of photos. I still have them today. So as well as my own, I have all of theirs too.

So when it came to trying to decide which was my photo of the many that I have, it was really hard to choose just one.

But in the end, I chose this one. It's my Mum and me on the night of my 21st birthday. The reason I chose it was because it was my Mum who really started my obsession with photos. However, there are so many that I love, particularly the ones with my two sons. It was so had to narrow them down to just one.

It seems fitting though, that I'd choose a photo with me and her together. After all, when I look back, it was her love of photos and our nights going through their photos that really started my affinity with photos.

Because of her, I've had a lifelong love of photos, particularly old ones.

Have you ever thought about what your favourite photo is? Feel free to let me know. You're welcome to post it on my Facebook page and me the story surrounding it. Who knows, you could even see it in this blog if you don't mind me sharing it.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

1 comment: