Wednesday 4 November 2020

Freeview Play and a whole new world of rather sedenatary lockdown TV...

 

We have been devotees of Netflix and Amazon Prime for a few years now but have always been a bit blase about Freeview.

That's probably because we've gotten so used to watching 'on-demand' that we can't be doing with watching programmes when they're 'on'.

However, there are a lot of programmes that are on the Freeview channels that we want to watch but are on at inconvenient times for us.

We were talking about it the other day and thought about buying a new TV that had Freeview Play so that we could record the programmes we'd like to see but I didn't want to spend £300+ on a new TV when ours is perfectly fine.

We were in our local supermarket the other day and I needed to buy some contact glue, however, they've changed everything around in the store and so I couldn't find any.

What I did find, however, was a set-top hard disc recorder for well over a third of the price of a new TV,  And with a second lockdown starting this week, I decided to splash out and buy one.

And it's like a whole new world of programmes I like, have now become available. As you can see from the photo, my interests include re-runs of old telly series and food programmes! I've already got 36 different shows recorded and none of them are the big hitter shows - you won't find Coronation Street or Eastenders on it. You won't find Pointless and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and most definitely won't see X factor and I'm a Celebrity type show there either.

What you will find is plenty of documentaries like The South Bank Show or Daytime telly such as Antiques Road Trip and American Pickers.

There will be plenty of music-based shows - already recorded are Frank Sinatra's Main Event, The Sammy Davis Jr Story and Long Hot Summers ( The style Council story).

Add a healthy dose of shows like Who Do You Think You Are, How Do They Do That?  Heir Hunters and a few Murder and Crime documentaries and it's the perfect mix of shows for us.

I think that just about proves how boring we are!

And whilst we're on this next lockdown, I think I'll be spending more time in front of that box in the corner than I normally would.

What are your lockdown plans?

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment