Wednesday 25 November 2020

James' Top 10s - things I've done to earn a living

 

10 Staff trainer - New Look (Weymouth)
Started off as a picker (picking clothes for the shops) progressing to trainer within 6 weeks of starting

9  Car Valeter - Self Employed
When I left New Look, and needed to do something started cleaning cars on industrial estates across Dorset

8 Warehouseman - MFI (Staines)
A winter job in 1978, for what were, at the time, a highly recognizable furniture company

7 Hi -Fi salesman - Rumbles Cycle and Radio (North Camp, Farnborough)
My first job, in the Winter of 1976 after we left Burnham on Sea and moved to Farnborough.

6 Market Trader selling Records Tapes & CDs - Self Employed
Started this business using my own collection as a starting point - working on markets in Dorset and Somerset

5 Signwriter - Self Employed
Started off painting fairground equipment showmen the year I got married.

4 Travel Agent - Self Employed (when I owned Go2morrow.com)
Started this up to be much like 'LastMinute.com" but concentration on Dorset,

3 DJ and Radio Presenter - Self Employed

Started DJing in 1977 and after taking a break, went back to it in the 2000s - started doing radio in 2009, aged 48 - I'd wanted to do it since I was a little boy.


2 Arcade minder and Bingo caller - Working for my Dad
I learned how to give change in my Dad's arcade when I was aged 6. By 11 I could mend machines and the same year my Dad taught me how to call bingo numbers and run the Bingo. By the time I was 15, I could run our arcade and bingo and did so often.

1 Travelling Showman - Showman
Travelled on fairgrounds with my Mum and Dad until we moved to the coast. Started in my own right  with my own equipment when I was 20. I travelled on fairgrounds across London, the Home Counties, East Anglia and the West Country.

************************

Along with that little list, I can add many other things I've done to earn a few quid including, Network Marketing, Selling pens and cassettes out of a suitcase on markets (much like Del Boy in 'Only Fools and Horses', and supplying and fitting lighting displays.

You could say I'm a Jack of All Trades and a master of none.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment