Wednesday 18 November 2020

We are what we read!

 

I read something today that ‘we are what we read and that the books we read tell more about us than the colour of our eyes or our haircut’. 

And that’s very possibly true. Over the years, I’ve read hundreds of books. I’ve always been a reader. I have been since I was a little boy.

I love to read positive mental attitude books, autobiographies and biographies. I love a factual book. Don’t get me wrong, I like fiction too, but always seem to go back to non-fiction.

I’m intrigued by people and their stories. I love to see how people made something of their lives. I love it when I read something in someone’s story that makes me realise I can put that idea into good use.

I enjoy reading about people who, when faced with adversity, keep going and tell me what they did to overcome it.

I love reading things that make me see the world differently, that show me ways to overcome situations in my own life.

I love to read books about music, stories about musicians, decades and styles of music. Books that give me the stories behind the songs.

I learn so much when I’m reading.

I love to read detective books, thrillers and classics too.

I love that when I open a book, I enter a different world. I’ve found so often that reading a book that I’ve seen as a film always makes me enjoy it more. It’s always more in-depth.

I’ve got friends who’ve never read a book and I can’t understand why. They don't know what they're missing. after all, there's not much point learning to read, if you don't.

In our house, all three of us devour books. We’re always reading something or other. I have books in my office, downstairs in the living room and also by my bedside.

It’s not uncommon for me to be reading three books alongside each other.

The editorial I read that brought this post to mind talked about how he started to change his profile picture on Facebook to a ‘bookface picture’ and with a quote from the book alongside it.

I liked that idea, so I’ve done it as well. I’m, hoping it may encourage some conversation about books too. I may get some reccomendations I may not have otherwise considered.

Feel free to join me in doing the same – and leave your book recommendations below and I’ll check them out.

And if you want to read the piece that was the catalyst for this blog, click here,

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment