Tuesday 8 December 2020

Looking back 40 years...

I was painting the ceiling inside the trailer early that morning.
I'd got up early as I had loads to do that day, so was planning what I'd do next when I heard it come on the radio.
"John Lennon has been shot and killed."
And that was the end of my day's plans. I finished painting and spent the rest of the day glued to the radio and television, and in between reading the papers to find out more.
The Beatles were, and still are my favourite group of all time. There had been talk of them getting back together but that would never happen now.
Tribute after tribute came on the telly. It seemed like all anyone was talking about was John's killing.
It was the biggest news story of that day and it lead to his album 'Double Fantasy' and the single, 'Just Like Starting Over' going to #1 in the charts.
For me, it was on par with Elvis Presley dying. One of those, 'I remember where I was when I heard' moments.
And now it's 40 years later.
I didn't get overwhelmed with grief then. More a curiosity to find out what had happened.
I've never been affected by any celebrity's death. I understand it's upsetting for some people but not for me.
John's music meant a lot to me, it still does. I didn't know the man but having read loads of books about him and the rest of the Fab Four, I'm not sure I would have liked him in real life.
But we still have his wonderful music. His legacy lives on and as far as I'm concerned always will.
He was just getting back to recording at the time of his death and the biggest regret I have is that we didn't get to hear what he may have produced in the years that followed.
Today marks 40 years. And I can still remember that day like it was yesterday.
I won't be miserable, after all, he wasn't family or a friend. I will however, play some of his music and remember the joy that he and the rest of The Beatles have provided me with over the years.

R.I.P John. 

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment