Monday 28 December 2020

An example of kindness

We hear a lot about hatred, disagreement and so forth. Each day the media compounds that by reporting about the goings-on around the World, and slanting the reporting to make things worse.

They know that reporting scandal about religion, politics and race will keep you glued. They know that salacious reporting keeps people locked in. Good news never really plays so well.

And social media seems a hotbed for nastiness. People can hide behind their keyboards and say what they like and for the most part, they get away with it. This is why we see more and more ‘trolling’ across different platforms.

 Don’t get me wrong, anyone who knows me knows that I like to have a good rant; I use social media as a way of getting stuff off of my chest. I also find that what I write on social media also helps me clarify my thinking. And I’ve often found that as I’ve thought about what I’m writing, I find that my actual thinking is the opposite of what I started out to write. I then end up writing from a completely different perspective.

 But one thing I try never to do is to slag someone off, to knock someone down, the verbally pull them to pieces or abuse them. When someone does that, I think it says more about the person writing than it does about their victim.

 But the more and more you see it, the more you feel that the World is getting worse. Luckily, I don’t think that is really the case. I just think that kindness gets a bum rap.

 And that’s why today, I want to tell you about someone who I’ve only known for just over 10 years, but who has, during that time, shown me and Debz such great kindness.

 I met Bridget not long after I moved to Cambridge, we came together through our love of music, specifically soul music. We met at various Soul events in the area when I used to DJ.

I DJed at some of the events and was a supporter of others. Bridget used to help out as part of the Cambridge Soul Collective, taking money at events and helping out wherever she could.

I’m not really the most outgoing of people despite how I appear to people. However, I’m very forthright in my opinions, which doesn’t always ingratiate me to some people. But Bridget always seemed to support me when I was fighting my corner.

Back in 2013, we moved to Bar Hill and started bumping into Bridget in our local supermarket, where we’d end up having a chat.

And then, in November of 2106, my doctor found a lump on my kidney that was reported to be cancerous. It meant that I was fast-tracked into the hospital to have my kidney removed just before Christmas.

Knowing that I was the only driver and that it was going to be a problem for me to get to the hospital before 7am, Bridget got in touch and offered to take me to the hospital. I took her up on my offer and on the day I was due in, she delivered me on time.

And since then, whenever we’ve been faced with a situation, Bridget has always volunteered to help us. Can there be a better example of kindness?

And in those years since, she’s always been there for us as shown once again today.

Debz works for the British Heart Foundation and just before Christmas, spent time working in the back office with one of the volunteers who has now tested positive for Coronavirus. Obviously, as is the situation with Covid, social distancing had been observed and masks were worn.

Despite that, Debz was tested yesterday, and today she too received a positive result, which means we have to self-isolate until January 5th.

I wrote a post on Facebook about it this morning and within minutes, Bridget had offered to do some shopping for us. Debz put a list together, and we messaged it across to Bridget.

Within an hour, Bridget delivered the shopping to our door!

And that, in a nutshell, is the perfect example of kindness.

Once again, she’s come up trumps for us. Bridget has shown us kindness for the umpteenth time. She’s never asked anything of us at any time and is always so willing to help. She put herself out for us yet again.

We are so grateful to have her in our lives. Of all the people we’ve met in Cambridge, she’s been the best of all. When I wrote about this on Facebook, other people who know her commented so well about her. All say how kind she is.

All I know is that Bridget has shown not only to us but others how kind she is. Many people are of the same opinion of her as we are. She’s a lovely, caring lady that we all appreciate.

I’m pretty sure that most of us would rather read stories about people like Bridget. She proves by her deeds that the World isn’t as bad as well all are led to believe.

It’s acts such as these that keep my faith in humanity intact. The World isn’t as bad as we are led to believe and won’t as long as there are people like Bridget who lead with kindness and integrity, there’s a chance for us all.

We’re grateful to have her as a friend and she’s an example for all of us to follow.

Kindness is still out there. It shows up mostly when you need it. We’re grateful to be a recipient. Hopefully, we’ll be able to pass it on to someone else once we’re out and about again.

 Thanks Bridget.

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment