Monday 11 January 2021

Guilty Pleasures...stop saying it!

For ages, I’ve used the phrase ‘Guilty Pleasure’ whenever I’ve talked about something I like and I know it’s not cool and trendy. But recently, I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s no such thing.

You either like something or you don’t.

And when you choose to bracket your choice by saying it’s a ‘Guilty Pleasure,’ what you’re saying is that your overall taste isn’t as crap as you that particular thing you’re saying you like is.

But let’s get it straight, right here and right now!

What someone else thinks badly of your taste in anything is not your problem. It’s theirs.

After all, I’m pretty sure that there are things you don’t like that other people do. I’m sure you’ve heard someone else say that something is their ‘Guilty Pleasure.’ We all do it.

We’re all as bad as each other.

But do you realise how silly that is? If someone looks down on you because of your taste in something, surely they’re the one who needs to be more open-minded.

When we say a piece of music or a film is a Guilty Pleasure, what you’re really saying is, “I like it but please don’t judge me.”

I’ve come to the decision that no longer will I call anything a Guilty Pleasure. I think you should too stop too. It’s time to stand tall and proud!

We should have the courage of our convictions! And when saying so, we shouldn’t preface it with an apology for liking it. There’s no need to.

Let me give you some examples of the way I’ve made excuses for liking things.

Last year, I decided to buy the ‘Howard’s Way’ box set of DVDs. I only ever saw the first series of it when it was on the telly back in 1986 and for all it’s ‘ham’ acting, I really liked it and wanted to see the rest. In fact, had it the show been more polished, it probably wouldn’t have worked for me. The stories were fine, it was some of the actors who were a bit under-par, but for me, it was a must-watch.

And when I said last year that I was looking to buy it, people 'took the Mickey' and said what a crap series it was and how I was wasting my money.

“But it’s a Guilty Pleasure of mine,” I replied.

I also bought the set of Sunday Night At The LondonPalladium shows. They take me back to watching them with my parents as a child. I don’t care, I’m a nostalgic person, it’s my cup of tea. It doesn’t have to be anyone else's.

In the same way, I love Russ Conway’s plinky-plonky piano playing. It reminds me of being a little boy and it holds great memories for me. I like the tunes too but when I mention it to anyone, I always say that Russ Conway is a ‘Guilty Pleasure’ of mine. The truth is when I listen to his music, I don’t feel guilty, I feel happy!

Surely what we like as individuals is up to us? Just because someone else doesn’t like it doesn’t make us wrong and them right any more than if it were the other way around.

I love a Rom-Com. I enjoy them and they make me feel good. I’m not a lover of War films, James Bond or Jason Bourne type films. Halfway through them, I start to get bored. And those dark Batman films just leave me cold. But put Love Actually or Pretty Woman on, I’m as happy as Larry.

I can’t stand X-Factor, The Only Way Is Essex, Love Island or any of those kinds of telly programmes. I love Documentaries, doing up your house programmes and Strictly Come Dancing. And I don’t see why I have to apologise for it.

And neither should you. We’re all individuals. And my God, wouldn’t it be boring if we all liked the same thing?

You shouldn’t be surprised if you hear that I’m listening to, and loving Cheesy Music – Even, Rene & Renato’s, ‘Save Your Love’ makes me smile.

So I’ve decided, I’m no longer making any apologies to the Music Police for the kinds of music I like nor will I apologise to the film critics for my taste.

I love the music I was brought up with now, even though I didn’t like some of it then. My Dad’s brass band and easy listening music used to do my head in – now I love it and have been hunting down all his old albums. In fact, over the last year or so I’ve bought box sets of Ray Conniff and Edmundo Ros amongst others.

I make no apologies for not wanting to like new music. Why should I? 90% of it I don’t like – I’m not in its demographic to start off with. So why bother trying to pretend I’m cool and trendy for liking it when I don’t.

And I’ll make no apologies for liking some novelty hit from the early 60s. Joe Brown’s, ‘Jellied Eels’ will give me more pleasure than any opus from Led Zeppelin ever will. I'm not knocking them, I just like what I like,

Abba make me cringe. Programmes like ‘Shameless’ or Who wants to Be A Millionairewill never be on my watch list but that doesn’t mean I’m some kind of superior being for not liking them. At the same time, I like The Spice Girls, Michael Portillo’s Railway journey shows and ‘Lovejoy’.

When it comes down to it, it’s all down to choice and I don't feel I should have to justify what I like to anyone. And neither should you.

We all love stuff that other people think is rubbish. But it’s my rubbish. You don’t have to like it.

I like what I like and I’m not going to hide it away because of what others may think. It’s time to bring some of the great music, films, TV shows and whatever else I like out of the closet.

It’s time to parade our unique likes, and to Hell with those who look down on us.

Let 2021 be the year when we finally say goodbye to the term ‘Guilty Pleasure’ and let’s finally stand tall with our heads held high, behind what we, as individuals like.

As I sing to myself the classic, “Oh your red scarf matches your eyes...”

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment