Tuesday 23 March 2021

I'm reading: Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain


Never order fish on a Monday. One of the many don’ts when eating out according to Anthony Bourdain in his book ‘Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.’

I like Anthony Bourdain, Chef, writer, television presenter. Sadly, he took his own life in 2018, aged 61.

He only came to my attention as he had some series on Netflix that we used to watch. They were a mix of travel and cooking shows. ‘A Cook’s Tour,’ ‘The Layover,’ ‘No Reservations’ and ‘Parts Unknown’ took me on a journey around the world. One which even took in a visit to The Marlboro, a fish and chip restaurant in Weymouth that I used to know the owners of.

He could be funny, intense, snappy, and dark, all within one show. He was a really good watch on his shows and I’d thoroughly recommend you check them out.

When I discovered he’d written some books, I thought I’d check them out. I read and enjoyed his novel, ‘Bone In My Throat’ and looked forward to reading ‘Kitchen Confidential’.

It’s most definitely a no-holds-barred look at the industry he made his name in, and it’s an intriguing read. It lays bare the industry and the people and as well as being insightful, it’s humorous and gives a telling view of what it’s like to start and the bottom and go from there.

I’ve really enjoyed it. If you watch the programmes on the telly, you’ll like this.


Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to read more, sign up for the weekly newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out and bookmark the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment