Thursday 22 October 2020

They call it 'Popcorn'

 In the UK we have a sub-culture of music known as 'Northern Soul' that has taken the country by storm over the years, after taking hold in the North of England in the late 60s and early 70s.

However, in Belgium, they have their own subculture of music known as 'Popcorn'.

Like with 'Northern Soul, they play mostly, obscure American and British records, mainly 'Rhythm and Blues' songs with some 60s pop mixed in, but unlike a lot of Northern Soul, this genre is paced at a slower tempo.

Personally, I enjoy the genre more than I do 'Northern Soul' because of the pace of the songs they use.

I didn't know anything about 'Popcorn' until around 11 years ago when someone brought it to my attention. At first, I thought they were telling me about the old hit of the same name by Hot Butter, but they put me right on that front.

Over the years, I've come to know more of the songs that fit this genre and have added a lot to my collection.

However, it was only last year that I found this short film on the History of how this genre came to be and I think it's well worth watching.

And if that whets your appetite to check out more of the music, there's plenty of playlists on youtube - here's one to get you started.

Let me know what you think of it.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!


2 comments:

  1. What a great blog James. I have never heard of Popcorn. A bit slow but the playlists were pretty good . Thanks for the info. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it - I like the slower pace and it has a nicer sound. I have a 100 song compilation that's good, but some of it's too commercial and I doubt devotees would call them all 'popcorn' - but it's a good entry point to the genre.

    ReplyDelete