Saturday 24 October 2020

The trouble with oldies radio...

I come before you this day to warn you about the divisive and insidious nature of Oldies Radio and the effect it can have on you.

For I fear that the prolonged listening to songs of that ilk has turned me into a 40-year-old woman from the late 1960s!

How do I know this?

This morning, as I do most days, I was listening to an oldies station playing on my bedside radio. And I usually wait until they play a record that I don't particularly like to rouse me into getting up.

But this morning, I realised that I am becoming immune to the tunes that would get me moving.

The first sign of it this morning was when I told Debz I would be getting up soon. And as I waited for a song that would get me up, I found myself unexpectedly excited when a particular song that would normally have spurred me into decisive action, didn't. And I caught myself saying, "Ooh! It's Engelbert. I like this one!"

It was at that moment  I knew I was in trouble. For I, like so many others have berated the aforesaid singer over the years for his schmaltzy songs especially as I could remember my Mum's swooning over his syrupy lyrics back in the days when I was just a young boy.

And today, I realised that prolonged listening to oldies of all kinds can result in you liking songs you used to berate.

And so I stand before you to warn you of such evil. I have to be very careful because now my big worry is that I'm going to start enjoying the work of Michael Buble!

I think in order to combat this threat, I'm going to have to put myself through an intense, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson and Eddie Cochran day to remind me that I am not, in fact, my mother from 1969, but a man, a real man!

Let this be a warning to you. If you listen to oldies for too long, it's entirely possible that you may acquire the taste for an honest to goodness, from the heart lyric!

Thanks for reading. If you like this blog and want to support it, sign up for the newsletter and feel free to invite your friends along to check out the blog, because after all, the more, the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment